[BNM] noagenciesplease

Jonathan Hirsch bnmlist@brightonnewmedia.org
Fri Feb 22 18:40:01 2002

Just had a look at noagenciesplease.com. Interesting. Says quite a lot about
the lack of understanding prevalent amongst so many of our industry's
clients.

> Company working in garden maintenance needs a small website - 5-8
> pages. Usual stuff and no back-end or e-commerce. Maybe a flash
> intro

Even if this was a real post (which it isn't, but there are plenty of
similar ones there) does any *serious/good* web designer really bother to
respond? The budget isn't going to be there to educate the client, or to
achieve decent results, and cheap clients are nearly always a nightmare to
deal with.

I still maintain that any company that is serious about its web site is
going to be spending at least a few thousand pounds. Just producing some
decent copy could easily account for a large chunk of that (oh yeah, I
forgot, copy is an afterthought isn't it? Bit like strategy - no need to pay
for it, it comes free with the pitch.)

I really don't know why companies bother to post these kind of projects. Six
to eight pages of HTML, 'perhaps with some Flash'... and especially if they
expect to get it for a few hundred quid... Waste of money. Won't do anything
positive for their business. Still, I suppose they have to learn somehow.

As for the fresh-off-a-course dreamweaver brigade that feed this sort of
rubbish - it's somehow satisfying to know that their careers will probably
be short-lived. They get what they deserve. Clients get what they pay for.
Bottom-feeding is the phrase, I believe.

Sorry to be so cynical. Rant over.

Jon
_______________________
Jonathan Hirsch
New Media Consultant
T. +44 (0) 1273 697 075
M. +44 (0) 7957 434 784
E. jon@hirsch.co.uk
W. www.hirsch.co.uk
_______________________

***  Retain control of your web publishing  ***
***        with HirschWorks Publisher       ***
***        http://www.hirschworks.com       ***

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

THIS E-MAIL MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INTENDED
FOR THE NAMED ADDRESSEE ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE, OR THE PERSON
RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING IT TO THE ADDRESSEE, YOU MAY NOT COPY OR DELIVER
THIS TO ANYBODY ELSE. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL BY MISTAKE, PLEASE
DELETE IT FROM YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM AND NOTIFY ME IMMEDIATELY. THANK YOU.

LEGAL NOTICE:

ALL WORK UNDERTAKEN BY ME IS SUBJECT TO MY STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
AVAILABLE ON REQUEST. NOTHING IN THIS EMAIL CONSTITUTES AN OFFER.