[BNM] answer to css issue? stretching divs down

Simon Dell bnmlist@brightonnewmedia.org
Fri Mar 7 11:55:00 2003

At 11:41 07/03/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Brook Calverly wrote:

>You can also do this with any element by setting the CSS 'clear' property
>to 'left', 'right' or 'both' (depending on whether you want to go down
>past floating boxes on the left, right or both sides). Something to
>possibly watch out for is that according to the CSS2 spec this is meant to
>take the element down past *any* floating element earlier in the source
>document, which may be a problem if you're using floats to make something
>like a navigation bar down the left of the whole page. It strikes me that
>it would be more useful for it just to apply to floating boxes in the
>containing box of the element in question. Anyone ever run into any
>problems because of this or have any solutions?

Isn't this a companion to the rules regarding floats, in that a floated
object is supposed to be removed from the normal document flow completely,
regardless of containing objects?

It's highly likely that I misunderstood the spec though, and am horribly
wrong.. .Jeremy?

Simon