[BNM] [OT] cook resigns

iestyn lloyd bnmlist@brightonnewmedia.org
Mon Mar 17 23:00:00 2003

> Good speech. Some interesting points eloquently made.

Yep. enough for an "unprecedented standing ovation"

> However being the eternal cynic I do wonder if his stand has more to do
> with his own political aspirations than his moral stand. After all
> wasn't it Cook who pushed though lot's of defense contracts to
> Indonesia, India and Israel despite the so called ethical foreign
> policy?

yep - see url below.

> If there is a big back bench revolt against Blair, Cook will be
> perfectly positioned as a viable alternative. He's one of the most high
> profile Labour MP's and because of his stand against the war will have
> a good level of support amongst Labour members as well as the country
> as a whole.

thats what i was thinking, but i'm not so sure:
"
he seems to have long given up hopes of leading his party, once saying: "My
looks and personality are very much of the school swot; I'm not good-
looking enough to be party leader."
"

> When is the next election due? Can't be too long off.

few years - last one was only 2 years ago. we've got a while yet.

> p.s. sorry if I'm being too cynical but he is a politician after all.
> If this is his motive then it's truly inspired.

when dealing with politicians, i dont think you can ever be too cynical :D