[BNM] optimising content readability

Alex Morris bnmlist@brightonnewmedia.org
Tue Mar 25 14:21:49 2003

Macdonald Alistair - PHG writes
>Does anyone know (or have links to info) about the best way to display
>content? In particular I'm wondering about stuff like telephone numbers (are
>groups of 3 more readable - 0845 xxx xxx or are pairs better - 0845 xx xx
>xx), number of characters per line of text, number of words per page etc.

Personal opinion, this, but here's my take on it.

Telephone numbers should be displayed in groups of three. It's easier to
remember two groups of three than three groups of two.

That said, there are exceptions, particularly where patterns or
sequences occur. One example is National Rail Enquiries. 08457 48 49 50
is easier to remember than 08457 484 950.

Just my tuppence worth.
--
Alex