[BNM] Javascript: Populating a Hidden Element with a Value onChange of Select Element RESOLVED

Dan Eastwell danieleastwell at onetel.com
Wed Jun 1 13:18:22 BST 2005

Well,

This is how I got the code to work using Andy's outline below.

selectedOption =  theForm.selectCategory.selectedIndex;
      //alert("Selected option is" +  selectedOption);
      optionObject = theForm.selectCategory.options[selectedOption];
      //alert("Selected option object is" +  optionObject);
      itsParent = optionObject.parentNode.tagName;
      if(itsParent == 'OPTGROUP'){
          //alert("options parent is" +  itsParent);
          parentsLabel = optionObject.parentNode.label;
          theForm.hiddenElement.value = parentsLabel;
          //alert("options parents label is" +  parentsLabel);
      }

This would be part of a function that runs onsubmit. It fills a hidden
element in the form, passing this value through the post variables. You
can thus subdivide options in a select element and return their logical
category to a processing script.

Many thanks again for all your help.

Dan.